Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Oral Presentation

The presentation was finally over and I had a great time doing it. As I was in charge for the introduction part of the presentation, it was my responsibility to capture the audiences’ attention by delivering an interesting opening. Initially, I had a pretty hard time trying to get ideas on how to make the opening as appealing as possible. I was thankful that my fellow group members, Wee Siong and Hwee Cher, helped me by contributing some advices and suggestions with regards to my part.


Overall, I am happy that our group presented rather well and went according to what we have rehearsed. However, I believe that there is still room for improvement and we can do better after getting your feedbacks. As for myself, I feel that I did quite okay. I was so glad that the audiences participated actively and responded to my question and joke during the presentation. One thing that surprised me is that I was not nervous at all when I was presenting. This is something that is unusual to me as presenting in front of everyone is one of the things that I am afraid of and I will avoid at all cost. I guess after this experience, I have gained more confidence and have overcome this fear for presenting.


One thing that I need to work on for my presentation in the future is to control the speed of my speech. I have a tendency to gradually increase my talking speed when I am excited or well-prepared for a particular thing (which in this case is the presentation). Sometimes, I could get so carried away without realizing that the people/audience could not catch up with me. Thus, I hope that I can improve on this matter and be a better presenter in the days to come.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sau Yeen,

    I do agree that you did manage to capture our attention in the opening. However, I think you can improve on your eye contact and phase your speech. You did mange to maintain eye contact throughout the presentation but not towards all the audience. I realize that you only look towards half of the class. And as you mentioned, at times you did talk slightly fast. Lastly, I think that your group members should share the workload for the question and answer section.

    As a whole, I think your group did well. Keep up the good work. We did enjoy your presentation.

    Ayu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ayu,

    Thank you for your review. I shall take note on the points that you mentioned. Your input has helped me to be a better presenter.:)

    Cheers,
    SY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sau Yeen,

    I was told to evaluate your presentation too. Anyway, I felt that you spoke fluently and quite confidently despite the occasional nervousness I can hear in your voice. Probably it will go away with more practise. Overall I felt that it was quite a pleasant experience. I understood the content you were saying.

    However, a point to note is that your hair seems to be getting in the way as you speak. It could be quite distracting at times. Some grammatical mistakes as you were speaking, just minimal.

    Elvin

    ReplyDelete