Monday, March 23, 2009

Biodata (Post #6)

I am Loke Sau Yeen, currently in my third year of study at the National University of Singapore (NUS). Driven by my passion in discovering the complexity of sciences, I am currently pursuing a degree in Life Science concentrating in Biomedical Science at NUS. Through this course, I am given the opportunity to study the field of interest in greater depth and to have hands-on experiences in laboratory researches with reputable professors in NUS. The experiences of working in laboratories have trained me to be able to work independently and interdependently by being a good team player. Besides that, I also learnt to be more observant, detailed-oriented, analytical, objective and determined with high consciousness of time.

Striving to maintain a balance life as a university student, I have participated actively in various co-curricular activities in the years of my academic studies. Being the present Public Relations Manager of NUS Singapore Anti- Narcotics Association (SANA), I am required to liaise with organizations such as the SANA headquarters on the subject of joint- collaboration activities. The valuable experiences that I had from this position have enhanced my interpersonal communication skills which in turn have boosted my confidence when dealing with people from different organizations and background.

Besides that, having done part time tutoring in a day care cum tuition centre last summer, I have acquired the skill of communicating effectively with people from different age groups such as children, adolescents and adults. Being a tutor was a challenge for me as different teaching approaches needed to be implemented to students of different levels. Thus, my part time job as a tutor allowed me to expand my creativity in developing different effective teaching methods as well as augment my capacity to withstand the stress from parents. Moreover, I have learnt to become more meticulous and patient, which I believe are qualities that will benefit me greatly in future assignments.

In addition, I always have a strong interest for music, ballroom dances and languages. If given the opportunity, I would like to pursue a piano diploma or learning a new dance or language. With my undying thirst for knowledge, I would also hope that I am able to take up a postgraduate degree in a related science field.




10 comments:

  1. Balanced is right, Sau Yeen. Reading your bio I thought of you as the very embodiment of balance: the "thirst for knowledge," the meticulousness and patience, the scientist and the pianist. I was especially interested to read that you have been tutoring, at different levels. That is also admirable, and I suspect that at some point all these interests may dovetail, and you might find yourself teaching in a university. The world needs more teachers, you know, and with your varied experiences and perspectives, that might be a way for you to realize many of your dreams. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sau Yeen,

    Wow. I just found out that the main gist of our biodata is quite similar where both of us are Life Science majoring students and the fact that we had experience liaising with organizations and authorities too (me being a secretary and you being a PR manager). Besides that, you also did some tutoring while I did some relief teaching. The main difference is that I unfortunately do not really have talent in the arts-related field such as music or dance. So, I really am quite impressed that you can juggle the different aspects of your life well and be that balanced person as stated by Brad. It has been a pleasure getting to know you better, my fellow Malaysian. :) Wishing you all the best in everything you do in the future.

    cheers,
    ws

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sau Yeen,

    I think your biodata has a good level of concretness. Each paragraph is dedicated to one of your achievements and is well-elaborated. I especially enjoyed reading the paragraph on your experience as a tutor. As a tutor once myself, I truly admired your ability to "handle" so many different groups of people, especially the parents. Tutoring is certainly a field I avoid as much as possible.

    Just to add a little suggestion though. In your second paragraph, you wrote "I am required to liase...". This conjure an image of you almost being forced to do this particular activity. Maybe you could edit it to "I was given the opportunity to liase..." or simply "I liased...". It might put you in a more positive light. :)

    Overall, it's a good piece of biodata which is relevant and easily understood.

    -evelia-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad: Thanks for your suggestion. Teaching in a university seems like an interesting profession. As I have tutored children as young as 4 years old, I found that teaching younger children ABC was harder than tutoring teenagers in various O level compulsory subjects. However, before I can even apply for a job to teach in a tertiary education institution, I should spare more time in acquiring more knowledge and equipped myself with more than just a degree.

    Wee Siong: Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's my pleasure as well to know you. Hope you'll have a wonderful weekend in Melaka.(ps. please bring some goodies from your hometown.)

    Evelia: Hey, Evelia. Thanks for correcting some mistakes in my post.I shall take note of it. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sau Yeen,

    The organized and point-to-point style of your biodata makes the reading enjoyable and smooth. On top of this, you managed to cover a large spectrum of topics e.g. your work experience, studies and your interests, without writing a very long biodata. It is of the best length that gives the reader all the necessary information and at the same, captivates his/her attention. Well done, Sau Yeen:)

    Your performance during the interview was superb, and Evelia and I had to give you the job:) I love the way you were composed and smiling throughout the entire interview. It gave me lots of insight on how to perform well during an interview. Thank you, Sau Yeen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Yuka for your lovely compliments. Well, I was smiling all the way throughout the whole interview because I found it quite amusing to see both of you acting in some roles which were totally different from your personalities. Anyway, both of you did a great job on the acting part. I need to apologize for being quite mean to you when my group was interviewing you. It was our intention to put the chair further away from the interviewers' tables so that you would shift your chair nearer to us. This provided us another opportunity to be mean to you by asking you to shift your chair back to the original position. So sorry Yuka but you did great on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sau Yeen! :)

    I'm impressed that you have such a strong passion for research. I've had quite a bit of experience with regards to lab work in NUS myself, having finally completed my Final Year Project(phew!)last month. I can, with all honestly, say that lab work is not easy at all, and can be very demanding. I think I can say with some certainty that your lab experience also stretched your patience and tolerance levels to the limit at some points!

    Wow, your extra-curricular commitments and experiences are really diverse! I salute your courage in taking up the day care centre job. Kids nowadays can be a real pain to deal with one-on-one(as evidenced by several of my teaching experiences), let alone having to care for an entire group of them!

    Oh! I remember we've talked about this before Sau Yeen. :) Take my advice! Pursue a piano diploma as soon as possible. Life's only going to get busier and busier for us, and I'm sure you don't want to look back and regret that you didn't do it in your Uni days! Same with regards to the learning of languages. I think I may want to pursue Japanese when I graduate from here. :)

    See you in a while ;)

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mark,

    I wish to pursue a piano diploma and I regretted for not taking it when I was in my secondary school days. However, I do not have a piano here in Singapore.T.T

    SY

    ReplyDelete