Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Reflection

The course may have come to an end but the process of learning on how to communicate effectively is still an on-going agenda. After going through this module, I have come to realize the great importance of being a good and an effective communicator in our daily lives. This module has taught me that there is more to effective communication than just verbal and written communication. At times, the nonverbal communication cues are able to convey and provide more accurate messages than words if there were to be interpreted correctly. This is an area that I should find out more especially the various communication styles and the appropriate usage of body languages when I am interacting with people from different cultural backgrounds. This serves as a deterrent for me from being involved in undesirable situations as a result of miscommunication and intercultural ignorance such as the incident involving my Uncle Ted (refer to my blog post 4 for my information).


Another important skill that I am glad to have picked up in this module is the ability to write good resumes and job application letters with the application of 7Cs. These skills can be put to good use when I am applying for internships or when I graduate from NUS in the year 2010. I have acquired essential skills on preparing (e.g. researching on the company that I am applying for a job) and performing confidently at job interviews. In the past, having to sit at the interviewee’s chair and being stressed out by the hard questions posed by interviewers was one of my biggest fears. I am thankful that I was able to be involved in a mock job interview that allowed me to have an insight and review on the possible interview questions that may be asked in an actual interview. After going through several weeks on job search communication tutorials, I am more confident now when it comes to job applications and interviews.


Furthermore, I have gained valuable experience from the group research study. Although all the members in my group come from Malaysia (including myself), each of us has our own personalities and working attitudes. Thus, being in a team has allowed me to hone my skills as a team player and practice the communication skills that I acquired in this course to cope with the differences among us especially when it comes to working under pressure of a perfectionist and (ahem!) "good-looking'' member. Nevertheless, it is still my honor to work with Wee Siong and Cher. I wish to thank you guys for the guidance that you have given me.


Finally, I have also learnt the various approaches and styles on how to make a presentation as interesting and as entertaining as possible. Being a Life Science student, most of the assessments for my core modules are based on writing assignments, continuous assessments (CA) and final examinations. Presentation is never part of the assessment for my core modules. Therefore, I rarely have a chance to stand and deliver my ideas in front of my fellow colleagues. Doing this presentation is definitely something new to me which allows me to develop my own presenting style.


Overall, it is a wise choice for me to have taken this module. I have gained valuable skills and experiences which would be useful in every aspect of life.


9 comments:

  1. Dear Sau Yeen,

    I am glad you took this module too! Our project report and presentation would not have happened or completed so well without both of your help. I really appreciate all your hard work in this group effort, my fellow Malaysian. Great job all around and may you achieve everything you wish for in your future. :)

    your perfectionist and good-looking friend,
    ws :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear "good-looking" and perfectionist friend,

    Although you were quite demanding, it was still a pleasure to work with you. :)

    SY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sau Yeen

    Not to worry. I think you would have plenty of opportunities to make use of your presentation skills while taking the level 4000 Life Sciences modules. It is good that we have a chance to hone our presentation skills this semester in preparation for the horrors of year 4. As you said, though this course has come to an end, learning still continues. All the best for your future learning.

    Cheers
    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sau Yeen,
    It is another great post from you. As usual, you have summarized each section under this module clearly and presented in an organized manner. I am glad to have a friend like you, you are always so helpful. I really appreciate your help in editing my post. You are the best blogging buddy.Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cher,

    Thank you for commenting on my blog. It has been a wonderful learning journey with you. Thank you for all your guidance and help in the ES2007S assignments. All the best in your coming exams.

    XOXO
    Sau Yeen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Duane,

    Thanks for commenting on my post.It's true that I will have plenty of opportunities to present in the future especially in my next academic year. All the best in your future undertakings.

    Cheers,
    SY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sauyeen,

    Thank you for this comprehensive final post!

    Yes, honing comm skills is an ongoing process. You've made good headway this term, putting in a great effort and participating in so much discussion both as a solo artist and as a member of a fine team.
    I really appreciate the hard work.

    Best of luck in your future...maybe we can meet up in KL some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sauyeen,

    Somehow my wife's ID was added to that last message. But it was me who wrote it! SORRY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sauyeen!
    It has been great having you in class,being able to hear your insightful comments! It is just a shame that I didn;t get t work woth you as much as I wanted to, but i'll see you around in school!All the best to your studies.

    ShiHui

    ReplyDelete