Saturday, January 24, 2009

Effective Communication Skills (Post #1)

Effective communication comprises of the ability of a speaker to convey his messages in a clear, easy- to-be- understood manner and the equally important participation of the listener through active listening. As the saying goes ‘no man is an island’, everyone needs daily communication and interaction with one another at any level of an organization. Hence, developing effective communication skills are an essential aspect of everyone’s life as these soft skills hold one of the golden keys to success, be it in terms of personal relationship or career establishment.

In my opinion, effective communication is able to enhance and strengthen existing interpersonal relationship. With the appropriate skills acquired, it will definitely aid me in forming positive interactions and bonds with the people around me. Thus, ideas, thoughts, feelings and information can be conveyed and delivered effectively and at the same time, minimizing the chances of error, misinterpretation, misconception and misunderstanding. Effective communication is crucially needed when I am working on a group project or during practical sessions in the laboratory. In some instances, differences in terms of working habit or opinions and occasional misunderstandings are inevitable among group members as each one of us has different backgrounds, personalities, opinions, attitudes and values. As such, effective communication skills such as using the correct voice tone, right selection of words, appropriate facial expression and active listening are able to help me understand them better as well as reducing the occurrence of unwanted conflicts. For example, the usage of different voice tones for a particular sentence will bring different meaning to the listener and thus different messages will be delivered. A simple conversation can be complicated at times if communication is poor. Apart from that, it also helps me to understand other people’s messages not only through spoken words but also through nonverbal communication cues.

Another wonder of effective communication skills is that these skills can be used in every field in the working environment. Through this module, I hope to become a more effective and articulate communicator, enhancing my ability to market myself. These skills are important for me to convey my values or ideas regarding some research topics to my lecturers, employers, colleagues, or maybe clients. The difference between a good and a poor communicator is that the good one can stand out from the crowd, possessing a better chance of advancing in his career as compared to the latter due to his marketability. After all, this is what most employers are looking for in their potential employees apart from the other requirements. In addition, I believe that my self-esteem and confidence can be maximized when I know what to say, how to say it and when to say it and all these skills are apllicable when I am doing presentations or participating in meetings or discussions.

For those reasons above, I see developing effective communication skills as an essential investment that everyone should not miss as it is an investment that will grant us success.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sauyeen, for this very good post. I think you do a fine job of connecting the general value of effective communication skills with your own needs. When you talk about how such skills can enhance your marketability, I'm right with you. That's a key point. It can also make things run smoother for you, outside the office.

    I look forward to reading more of your thoughts this term!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sauyeen

    Woah im so impressed by your command of language, this post is simply wonderful. I can truely understand what are the messages your are trying to get across to your audiences, so looking forward to reading your next post!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sauyeen

    I think that you have effectively emphasized your views on why effective communication is important. It would be nice if you could add in one or two anecdotes? Maybe some experiences in the laboratory? :)

    P.S. It could only be my browser but I find your font colour slightly faint. Maybe you could choose a darker colour?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sauyeen

    The previous post was from me. No idea why it says MNO 1001 Project Group. Will try to find out why.

    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day Sau Yeen,
    I am very impressed with your post and i am strongly agreed with those points you have pointed out about the importance of communication.From my past laboratory experiences, it was really difficult for me to work with someone with different backgrounds and personalities. Thus, effective communication really aid me to communicate with my partner during practical sessions.That's all. Can't wait to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your comments on my post and I am sorry for the late reply. Anyway, it's almost the end of the semester now. As I was reading my 1st entry, I was amazed by the things that I have learned from this module. These valuable inputs are far more than what I was expecting to obtain from this module. Four months ago, I found that blogging was hassle to me because writing is one of the things on my hate list. However, my perspective has changed. I have developed a liking to blogging as it allows me to express my thoughts and ideas. It has definitely improved my writing skills which in turn has motivated me to write more. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity thank everyone especially Brad and all my friends in the ES2007S for going through this enjoyable journey of learning to become an effective communicator with me.:)

    ReplyDelete